Calling Bryant walkers and bikers: our last walk/bike event of 2017 will take place Friday morning, Dec 15.
What: Wintertime Ramble
Where: Top Pot Doughnuts in Wedgwood (6855 35th Ave NE).
When: Friday, Dec 15, 7-7:30 am
Who: Bryant walkers and bikers and their parents
How: NEW FORMAT — come for donuts and coffee, visit with friends, get merry, then head to school with your parents as you please. In the past the Bryant Bike Fairy has led the bikers en masse to school, but she is not going to do that this time.
It’ll be dark so make sure you have lights or reflective gear so we can ride and walk safely.
Beautiful fall weather graced our Walktober events to celebrate Bryant walkers this year! Each Friday morning over 100 Bryant students visited one of our four walking stations, had a treat, visited with friends and neighbors, and headed to school together. We thank everyone who helped with the stations, as well as those who stopped by a station.
It is great to see a large contingent of Bryant walking to school – not only does it help cut down on car traffic during drop off, it’s also a fun to start the day with fresh air and friends. As the coming months grow darker and wetter, stay warm and happy — keep on walking to school!
October is Walk to School Month, and we will be celebrating our many Bryant students who make their way to school on foot! Each Friday in October (Oct 6, 20, and 27) we will be hosting “walking bus stops” surrounding Bryant from 7:30-7:40 to gather with friends, have a treat, and walk to school together.
- West Station 30th Ave. NE/NE 60th St.
- South Station 33rd Ave. NE/NE 55th St.
- North Station 32nd Ave. NE/NE 65th St.
- East Station 36th Ave. NE/NE 60th St.
Live NW of Bryant? A walking school bus will run through the neighborhood, beginning west of Third Place Books, and make scheduled stops on the way to school. Contact Michele Solis for more details.
Bike Month has wrapped up, and Bike2Bryant would like to thank all students and their parents who got pedaling in May. Here are some amazing stats on Bryant’s awesome pedal-power:
- 94 people logged at least 1 bike trip in May
- In total, they made 1159 roundtrips.
- This amounted to roughly 2000 miles — which would get you past the Arctic Circle or to the southern tip of Mexico’s Baja Peninsula.
- All that bike riding took 392 hours, or 16 days.
- 2 students each biked 100 miles in May – not even the Bike Fairy is sure she biked that much!
- Ms. Kearney’s class won the Crank Arm trophy for class with the most trips.
- 28 students rode their bikes everyday – Congratulations to Tyson A., Sonja A., Sebio A., Naomi B., Walter B., Eleanor B., Maggie B., Milo C., Charlotte C., Gianina D., Rian F., Tristan F., Emma F., Ian F., Jackson H., Evan J., Jojo J., Madeleine M., Olympia L., Murrow L., Nicolas L., Vivienne L., Orli P., Ramona S., Diadora S., Sydney W., Pola Z., and Zoja Z.
We are proud of all of our Bryant bikers, and thank them and their parents for continuing the Bike Month tradition at Bryant. Keep on pedaling in the summer, and we’ll see you in the fall with Walk to School programming!
Make plans to get up early on Wednesday, May 10 for a Bike to School Day celebration. Gather at Top Pot on 35th Ave NE in Wedgwood after 7 a.m. for free donuts and coffee, then at 7:30 a.m. we’ll ride to school together. This will be a parent-escorted event; kids must come with a parent.
If you want to a peek at the fun we’ll be having, check out footage here and here from the 2013 ride with the SPS Superintendent!
It is time to track trips for Week 1 of Bike Month! Please go to our online trip tracker and tell us how many times you biked this week. This year there will be prizes for all students who log at least 1 trip, for students who bike the most trips, and for the classroom that has the most trips in May.
We have a feeling there will be lots of winners this year: this Friday, the Bryant Bike Fairy counted 82 bikes parked in the bike racks this Friday, and she caught 5 students biking on their way to school, a majority of whom were kindergartners. We here at B2B HQ have extra respect for young students who cruise our hilly environs with not so many gears!
Calling all Bryant Bikers — May is Bike to School Month, and Bryant’s Kickoff Event will take place on the playground after school Friday, April 28. Bring your bike for free bike tuning. Trick it out with bike decorations. Test your skills with the paper toss game. Sign up to track your trips in May.