Welcome to Bryant!
Bryant is a large and engaged community, and there are many ways for new families to plug in. Find resources for enrollment, meet other families and learn about opportunities to get involved.
Kindergarten delayed start
Open enrollment and school choice
Bryant Open House
New Family Night
First Day Welcome
Kindergarten Open Classroom
Ice Cream Social
Volunteer & New Parent Orientation
- The PTSA website is your source for school and PTSA news. Find meeting notices and minutes, committee contacts, the library catalog, after school enrichment class information and more.
- Subscribe to the Bryant Weekly to receive our email newsletter with Bryant news and updates, as well as receive periodic important updates.
- Like our Facebook page to connect to other Bryant families and keep abreast of what’s going on.
- The Source has information about your student. Find attendance records, library fines, assessment results and more.
- The district’s official Bryant Elementary website has official updates from the school (though much of this information is covered in the PTSA website.
- Email the PTSA with any questions.
Kindergarteners at all SPS schools attend school full-day for free. Before the 2016-17 school year, Bryant Kindergarteners not on a free or reduced lunch plan had to pay a fee (around $3k annually) to use the full-day option.
Bryant is excited to be offering the FREE Jump Start program to incoming Bryant kindergarteners again in the fall of 2019. During this week, students will get to know the school, meet some Bryant teachers and practice school activities. Transportation and meals are not provided. Plan to drop off and pick up your child each day of Jump Start. Please send your child with a lunch each day. Learn more about the program on the district website.
All children registered at Bryant are invited to attend Jump Start. Complete the registration form (see forms in the most common SPS languages in the right-hand sidebar) and return it to Bryant. Email kindergarten teacher Alex Jones by June 20 to let us know your child plans to attend.
2019 Jump Start dates: August 19-23, 9am-noon
Typical JUMP START Schedule
Parents/guardians/family members check in on the school playground. This is where you should come to drop-off and pick-up your child at 9am and 12pm each day.
- 9-9:30am: Morning welcome routines in kindergarten classrooms — learn and practice how to be part of a class, listen to stories, sing songs, recite chants and rhymes, raise hands to ask or answer questions, listen quietly, take turns, unpacking routines, etc.
- 9:30-11:15am: Every 30 minutes, children move in groups between activities to practice different skills such as
- Fine Motor (drawing, coloring, cutting with scissors, setc.)
- Math (counting objects, making patterns, playing with number cards or pattern blocks)
- Literacy (listening to stories, drawing, writing and retelling stories)
- Language (poems and stories, rhyming and letter sound games)
- Cognitive or Thinking (problem solving games, puzzles, blocks, sorting objects)
- Each day students will visit a different part of the school — library, cafeteria, playground, gym, etc. to become familiar with the school and learn rituals for lining up, walking quietly through the halls, washing hands before/after recess, etc.
- 11:15am-noon: Lunch and Recess — get comfortable eating in the cafeteria, learn playground rules and procedures, practice dismissal routines.
The first day of school will be delayed for K families until the Monday following the usual Wednesday start date for the rest of the school, to allow K teachers to meet with each family individually. Please refer to the SPS website for more information about these District-wide changes.
2019 First Day of School for Kindergarteners: TBA
If you are outside of Bryant’s attendance area but would like to attend Bryant, first submit your registration forms, then submit your choice request during the Open Enrollment period. To determine what school your child is currently enrolled in, use the district’s Assignment Look-Up Tool. Attendance Boundaries are under review at the District. Refer to their website for the latest information. Full instructions for registration can be found on the district admissions page or by contacting the Admissions office at (206) 252-0760.
Bryant doesn’t offer daytime tours. In late Winter, at a prospective family night, the Kindergarten teaching team invites prospective parents/guardians to tour the classrooms, meet the teachers, talk with current families and learn more about Bryant. Representatives from each of the other grade levels and specialists are also on hand to shed light on your prospective school.
2019 Date: Thurs, Feb 7 at 6:30
After the District has tendered its school assignments, the Kindergarten team hosts a New Family Night for you and your student to visit your new school. Classroom assignment won’t be made until the end of summer, but you can explore the different classrooms, introduce yourself to the teaching team and meet some of your new classmates.
2019 Date: Thurs, May 30 at 6pm
Incoming families benefit from the wisdom and experience of veteran Bryant families, or Bryant Buddies. Bryant Buddies are there to answer all your questions and show you the Bryant ropes. Buddy pairings are made in July for the upcoming school year. Sign up at email@example.com
2019-20 Bryant Buddy Chair, Maija Chang, Kim McClean
Start making new friends early and meet up with other incoming Kindergarteners and their families before school starts in the summer. This year’s playdates are all at Bryant Elementary’s playground so the children can explore their new stomping grounds. Bring balls, bikes, chalk, siblings, anything to entertain yourself and your new friends!
2019 Playdate coordinator: Annie Forsyth
- Times TBA
A week before school starts, your new teacher will contact you via email with an introduction, your classroom assignment, and a little information about starting at Bryant. The administration and faculty do not take requests for teacher preferences, though they carefully consider the overall makeup and dynamic of each classroom when deciding classroom placement.
The day before school starts (for 1st – 5th graders, at least), Kindergarteners and their families are invited in to explore their new classrooms, start bonding with their classmates and learn a little bit about how a Bryant day works.
2019 Orientation: TBA
After you see your Kindergartener off for the first time, come join the PTSA and Principals in the lunchroom for breakfast goodies introductions to some of the staff, administration and school leaders. Explore the various opportunities to be involved in Bryant’s vibrant community and connect with other new and veteran families.
2019 Welcome: TBA
The first week of the school year (the Friday before Kindergarten starts) ends with the popular Ice Cream Social put on by the 4th Grade to kick off fundraising for their Islandwood camp trip the following year. Start off in the lunchroom where you’ll purchase your ice cream bowls and customize them with toppings, and continue the party out on the schoolyard with all your new friends.
2019 Ice Cream Social: TBA
Parents and guardians have an opportunity to meet with their students’ teachers and get an overview of the proposed curriculum for the year.
2019 Curriculum Night: TBA
Learn when and how to be involved in your student’s classroom. And beyond the classroom, the Bryant PTSA has many volunteer opportunities to fit the busiest of parent schedules. Parent involvement benefits every student in our school. Room parents are strongly encouraged to attend. We’ll also discuss the current Seattle Public School volunteer requirements for school volunteers. Email Ann Marie Patterson with questions.
2019 Orientations: TBA