Enrollment for our before- and after-school program for the upcoming 2016-17 school year will be held between Monday, May 2 and Friday, May 14. This applies to incoming kindergarteners and students currently in the before- and after-school program.
Our enrollment process and programming are changing significantly. Here is what you can expect:
- The LASER Board of Directors has approved a lottery-based enrollment process for 2016-2017 to ensure that our programs are equitably offered, priority is allocated fairly based on existing registration, and enrollment is easier for parents. Among other things, this means no more waiting in line to register. More details on this process can be found below.
- Sand Point and Bryant sites will offer after-school programs only. Due to the Seattle School Board’s adoption of new bell times for the 2016-17 school year at Bryant and Sand Point (7:55 a.m. start, 2:05 p.m. end), we will discontinue before-school care at those sites, shifting staff to after-school.
- Laurelhurst will continue to have both before- and after-school programs to accommodate their bell times (9:35 a.m. start, 3:45 p.m. end).
- We will maintain/expand capacity to accommodate demand. We anticipate an increased demand for after-school care at sites where the school day ends earlier. We have been working closely with administrators, teachers and parents at each of our sites to secure capacity for next year:
- Bryant – will remain with 120 spaces, which was increased in the 2015-16 school year.
- Sand Point – will increase from 86 to 146 spaces.
- Laurelhurst – will remain at 76 spaces.
- LASER will change its close time from 6:15 p.m. to 6:30 p.m. at all sites to better accommodate working parents, based on feedback from families. After-school hours will be 2:05 – 6:30 p.m. at Bryant and Sand Point, and 3:35-6:30 p.m. at Laurelhurst.
- Fees are likely to increase in the upcoming year. In order to continue delivering high quality childcare programs to you via our excellent staff, accommodate the $15/hour minimum wage, and extend after-school care hours, we plan a modest increase in our fees. Fees will be set in April and will be circulated before enrollment begins.
Here are details on the 2016-17 LASER Enrollment Process:
Enrollment: A lottery (random number) system will be used to order applicants. Priority will be given to returning, full-time students, but we also welcome new students. We will begin assigning lottery numbers when the enrollment period ends, on Friday, May 14.
Deadlines: LASER will accept enrollment applications between 7:00 a.m. Monday, May 2 and 6:15 p.m. Friday, May 14. All applications received prior to the deadline will be eligible for the lottery. Enrollment applications received after the deadline will be processed on first-come, first-served basis after the initial enrollment lottery is complete.
Notification: LASER will notify families by email if they have secured a spot within two weeks of the enrollment end date, May 28. If enough space is available, a lottery will not be necessary and all applicants will be registered.
Waitlist: Any children not assigned a spot will be added to a waitlist. The waitlist will be processed using the same prioritization used to conduct the enrollment lottery. LASER will return deposit checks for those on the waitlist.
Here’s how to apply:
- Complete, sign and submit the attached LASER Contract for next year between 7:00 a.m. Monday, May 2 and 6:15 p.m. Friday, May 14. LASER Contract’s should be submitted to LASER sites in person, through email, and through postal mail. There are also hard copies of the LASER Contract available at LASER sites. LASER Contracts must be received by LASER by 6:15 p.m. Friday, May 14.
- Submit a deposit equal to one month’s tuition. Fees will be supplied in mid April.
- Any applicants new to LASER will also need to submit a LASER Enrollment form/Parent authorization, immunization form, parent handbook signature page (located in the back of the Parent Handbook), 2 completely filled out emergency cards, and a $100 one-time enrollment fee per child.
We will be sending LASER Contracts and enrollment paperwork along with 2016-17 fees in mid April. Please feel free to contact me with any questions.
Executive Director, LASER