Notice of Meeting
Bryant Calendar & Bryant Weekly
Jason Smith, Tiffany Morgan, Kathy Kereluck, Michelle Ireton, Andrea Schnee, Smriti Shelty, Anna Marburg, Daniel Griesbach, Jenn Duhamel, Sara Fenzl, Julianna Batho, Janna Rolland, Cherise Randell, Mark Batho, Leanne Huntington, Julie Ohrazda, Lauren Abraham, Jennifer Mahlum, Rachel Schaw, Kim Love, Kim Larsen, Janie Booth, Joan Crooks, Amy Shanafelt Carleen Confer, Amy Alphin, Dan Sanger, Julie Pearson
Welcome and Introduction (Leeann Huntington):
PTSA Board and parents, teachers, staff in the room introduced themselves.
Approve May Board Meeting Minutes (Rachel Schaw):
Minutes from the May 12th meeting APPROVED.
Officer/Standing Committee Reports
- Treasurer’s Report (Lauren Abraham, Jennifer Mahlum): Reviewed the 2014 – 2015 Treasurer report
- Legislative Report (Joan Crooks):
- Joan shared a recap of the 2015 legislative session.
- Forum with Seattle PTSA & women voters for candidates for School Board. More information is in the Bryant Weekly (Sign-up here).
- In February there a vote to renew to levies to cover cover operational and capital costs.
- Conflict of Interest Statement (Rachel Schaw): PTSA Board members have received and signed the conflict of interest statements.
- Compliance Documents (Rachel Schaw): Compliance docs are in progress. Need some technical information about how we collect money for the annual campaign. Lauren is following up.
- Review additions to the standing rules (Lauren Abrahms): Mostly the same as last year. Updates include specifics who/when the Financial review happens and how state compliance is reported. Will be reviewed in the October meeting.
- Proposal to increase funding for Reading A-Z/Raz Kids (Julie Pearson): Majority voted to fund Reading A-Z and Raz Kids for the next year.
Meeting adjourned: 7:35
From Stephen Martin, Advanced Learning Program Manager
Information about Seattle Public Schools Advanced Learning program can be found at the District’s website.
Application Forms: Advanced Learning is making every effort to “go green” this year by shifting to less paper-intensive systems. Find the application process for testing your student on the District’s website. Submit your electronic form by Oct 8. Testing for Bryant students will be on Sat, Oct 17 at Cascadia at Lincoln. Read more
Please welcome DJ Wilson as our new Playground Supervisor to help supervise morning and lunch recesses. “Miss DJ” comes to us from LASER, where she is a counselor. DJ’s own children attended Laurelhurst, Eckstein, and Roosevelt, and now that they are grown she enjoys watching football and spending time with her grand-dogs. She is excited to join the Bryant staff in this new role since it gives her a way to “get to know the students I work with even better.”
Top Five Reasons to Join the PTSA:
- Build a partnership between our school and our families.
- Vote on the Bryant PTSA budget, on resolutions, and for the Bryant PTSA Executive Board.
- Help fund PTSA scholarships and grants.
- Provide a legislative voice for our children in Olympia and in Washington, D.C.
- Get exclusive member discounts at businesses like at Great Wolf Lodge and Kinko/FedEx
Your PTSA membership needs to be renewed every year. Hit the ground running this year. Download your membership form today and have your membership ready to go.
By Joan Crooks, PTSA Legislative Chair
One of the key roles of the PTSA is to advocate for our kids and our schools. Here are three things you can do as we start off the school year:
1. Learn about the candidates for Seattle School Board – The Seattle Council PTSA and the League of Women Voters are sponsoring a Seattle School Board Candidates Forum. The details: Thursday, October 8 from 7 to 8:30 pm, at Seattle First Baptist, 1111 Harvard Avenue. Registration is requested but not required. Read more
Bryant PTSA General Meeting Agenda
September 15, 2015, 6:30pm
NE Branch Library
Welcome and Introduction Leeann Huntington 6:40-6:50
Approve May Board Meeting Minutes 6:50-7:10
Officer/Standing Committee Reports
- Treasurer’s Report Lauren Abraham & Jennifer Mahlum
- Legislative Report Joan Crooks
Special Committee Reports
- Conflict of Interest Statement (7:10-7:15) Rachel Schaw
- Compliance Documents (7:15-7:20) Rachel Schaw
- Review additions to the standing rules (7:20-7:30) Leeann Huntington
- Proposal to increase funding for Reading A-Z/Raz Kids to match increased license costs from last year. (7:30-7:50) Julie Pearson
The Playground Supervisor is primarily responsible for keeping Bryant Students safe and well during recesses. He or she coordinates playground volunteers, and oversees supervision and student safety on the playground at Bryant.
This position (funded through a PTSA grant) is paid hourly, with a daily time commitment between 10:15 and 1:45pm (3hrs paid, with half hour break for lunch.) This person will also serve on the Safety Committee, which meets one morning a month before school. If interested, please contact, Assistant Principal Julie Pearson.