Bryant Elementary Parent Teacher Student Association Standing Rules
- The name of this PTA local unit is the Bryant Elementary PTSA, local unit number 6.15.60.
- This PTSA serves all children, but primarily the children of Bryant Elementary School, as defined by the objectives of state and national PTA organizations.
- This PTSA was incorporated as a nonprofit corporation in the State of Washington on December 13, 1982 and was assigned corporation number x-xxxxxx-x. The Treasurer is responsible for filing the annual corporation report.
- This unit was granted tax-exempt status under section 501(c) (3) of the Internal Revenue Code on October 16, 1984. A copy of the letter of determination is filed in the legal documents binder maintained by the secretary.
- This unit’s Federal Employer Identification is located in the legal documents binder in the custody of the Secretary and its assigned UBI number is xxx xxx xxx.
- This unit is registered under the Charitable Solicitations Act, under registration number 6371. The Treasurer is responsible for filing the annual registration by May 31 to avoid penalties.
- The Treasurer is responsible for filing IRS Form 990, form 990 EZ or 990-N prior to November 15. Copies of the current and past years’ returns are located in the legal documents binder maintained by the Secretary.
- The Bryant Elementary PTSA has designated the Washington State PTA as its registered agent with the Washington Secretary of State’s office, the Washington Department of Revenue, and the United States Internal Revenue Service. Copies of this signed document making such designation are available in the legal document binder maintained by the Secretary.
- Per the Washington State PTA Uniform Bylaws, we will annually review the Washington State PTA Standards of Affiliation agreement in its entirety and we agree to abide by all requirements and to uphold the ethics, policies, and principles of PTA.
Membership and Fees
- The membership service fees for this PTSA shall be twelve ($12.00) per person when paid online by credit card, plus $1 credit card processing fee per transaction.
- When paid for by check, membership service fees shall be twelve dollars ($12.00) plus applicable processing fees when paid online.
- Sponsoring the membership fees of a teacher or staff member by another member shall be charged twelve dollars ($12.00) per teacher/staff member sponsored plus applicable fees when paid online.
- Any person who believes in the objectives of this PTSA may become a member, upon payment of the membership fee.
- Students of Bryant Elementary school shall be considered honorary members of the PTSA without vote or the privilege of holding office.
- Voting for Officers or Nominating Committee positions may take place at a meeting, by mail, or by electronic transmission. If voting takes place by mail or electronic transmission, the name of each candidate is to be contained in the notice of the meeting and any vote cast must be received within the time frame identified in the notice of the meeting.
- The elected Executive Officers of this PTSA shall be one President or two Co-Presidents, one Vice President or two Co-Vice Presidents, two Co-Secretaries, and two or three Co-Treasurers and they shall constitute the Executive Committee of this PTSA.
- Such Executive Officers shall be elected by the Spring General Membership meeting and shall serve up to two one-year terms commencing July 1st of each year.
- Each Executive Officer shall be entitled to one (1) vote at a Board of Directors or Executive Committee meeting.
- The Executive Committee shall appoint non-executive committee members of the incoming Board of Directors prior to the final Board of Directors meeting of the school year and such appointments shall be recorded at the Board of Directors meeting.
- Each appointed member of the Board of Directors shall be entitled to one (1) vote at a Board of Directors meeting.
- Each Executive Committee member will attend one mandatory WSPTA training during the year.
Board of Directors
- The Board of Directors shall appoint up to two Board Members at Large with an outgoing President, Executive Officer or PTSA member who has substantial working knowledge of the Bryant PTSA and Elementary School, which knowledge would be valuable and add to the collective wisdom of the current Board of Directors of this PTSA. No specific duties will be assigned to this position
- The Board of Directors of this PTSA shall consist of the elected Executive Officers, the Co-Chairs of the Fundraising Committee, the Volunteer Co-Chairs, the Co-Advocacy Chairs, the Co-Membership Chairs, the Family Engagement Chair, the two Board Members at Large, and up to two Faculty/Staff representative.
- This PTSA’s Board of Directors will meet monthly on a weekday from September to June, the date and time to be determined by the Board. Additional meetings throughout the year may be scheduled at the call of the President or a majority of the Board. A majority of those on the Board of Directors shall constitute a quorum.
- An Office Chair shall be declared vacant if the person filling the position misses 3 consecutive meetings unless excused by the President.
- A special meeting shall be called for time sensitive issues.
- Other committee chairs, parents, and Bryant faculty and staff may be invited to attend and participate at Board of Director meetings, but do not have a right to vote on matters before it.
General Membership Meetings
- General Membership Meetings shall be held three times per year (Fall, Mid-Year & Spring), the time and date to be set by the Board of Directors. Written notice of the place, day and time of the meetings shall be delivered not less than ten (10) nor more than fifty (50) days prior to the date of the meeting to each member. There must be at least 10 members present in order to conduct business.
- The Bryant PTSA shall approve its standing rules at the Fall General Membership meeting each year.
- This PTSA shall elect its Nominating Committee and hear from the Financial Review Committee by the Mid-Year Membership meeting each year.
- This PTSA shall approve its annual operating budget and elect its Executive Officers by the Spring General Membership meeting each year. The Spring General Membership meeting shall constitute this PTSA’s Annual Membership Meeting.
- General Membership meetings of this PTSA are open to Bryant PTSA members and parents and staff who are not members. Only dues paying Bryant PTSA members are entitled to vote on matters brought before the meeting.
Conferences and Representation
- This PTSA’s Board of Directors may send a member or appointed representative to Seattle Council PTSA meetings and at least one to four representatives to the Region 6 Fall Leadership Conference.
- This PTSA’s Board of Directors may also send representatives to other state and region PTSA meetings.
- This PTSA’s Advocacy Chair(s) may attend or send an appointed representative to the WSPTA Legislative Assembly as this PTSA’s voting delegate.
- Provision shall be made in the annual operating budget to cover expenses associated with having representatives attend such conferences.
Treasury and Budget
- The Budget Committee shall consist of the Co-Treasurers and no fewer than three (3) members appointed by the President with the approval of the Executive Committee.
- The Budget Committee shall prepare an itemized proposed budget to be submitted to the Board of Directors for approval prior to the Spring General Membership meeting.
- A Financial Review Committee, minimum of two (2) members appointed by the President, will review the financial books once a year. Members of this committee shall not include the Co-Treasurers or any person authorized to sign on the PTSA bank accounts for the period that is being reviewed or any individuals living in their households. Records must be submitted for financial review no later than 30 days after the end of the fiscal year.
- The PTSA will have the taxes done by a CPA by November 15th of every year.
- The PTSA shall establish one or more accounts in financial institutions as determined by the Board of Directors. The authorized signatures for this PTSA’s bank account will be the President, Vice President, Co-Treasurers and one other elected officer selected by the Executive Committee.
- The PTSA’s monthly bank account statements shall be reviewed on the bank website by a person appointed by the Board of Directors. Such person will be appointed by the Board at the beginning of the fiscal year, and shall not be a signer on the account. The reviewer will be provided with a read-only login to the bank accounts and may not conduct transactions on the PTSA bank accounts. The reviewer shall promptly report any concerns or discrepancies identified in the review to the Executive Committee. If there are no concerns or apparent discrepancies, the reviewer shall email the Treasurers with the statement “I’ve completed the review and have no concerns or questions. Please accept this email in lieu of paper signature.” and a list of the bank account numbers reviewed online.
- All reimbursement requests for authorized expenses must include a receipt and be submitted to the treasurer within 60 days of purchase. All requests for reimbursements must be received no later than 10 days before the last scheduled day of school or they will be considered a donation to the PTSA. Reimbursements issued by this PTSA must be cashed within 90 days or will be considered void.
- The PTSA Board during the course of the year may authorize expenditure of un-allocated funds as long as funds are available.
- The Executive Committee has the authority to approve non-budgeted expenditures up to or equal to $100.
- The Board of Directors has authority to reallocate up to $5,000 budgeted for one purpose to another purpose by a two-thirds vote.
- Non-budgeted expenditures greater than $5,000 must be approved by the General Membership by a majority vote.
- The Board of Directors may transfer funds from PTSA reserves up to a limit of $5,000 annually by two-thirds vote of the Board.
- The PTSA shall maintain two legal documents notebooks. Both will be maintained by the Secretary with one stored in the Bryant Elementary School library and the other in the home of the Secretary. All elected officials shall have access to the legal documents notebooks.
Washington State PTA Awards
- One or more Golden Acorn awards may be presented annually to an outstanding volunteer(s). A committee appointed by the President shall select the recipient(s). The Board of Directors shall determine the number of recipients.
- One or more Outstanding Advocate awards or Outstanding Student Advocate awards may be presented annually to recognize advocacy work on behalf of children and youth. A committee appointed by the President shall select the recipient(s). The Board of Directors shall determine the number of recipients.
- One or more Outstanding Educator awards may be presented annually to an outstanding teacher or educator. A committee appointed by the President shall select the recipient(s). The Board of Directors shall determine the number of recipients.
- An Honorary Life Membership award may be presented annually to an individual who has made significant contribution to the growth and development of PTSA. A committee appointed by the President shall select the recipient.