February 14, 2017 7:00pm
Bryant PTSA Speaker Series:
Birds + Bees + Kids, Amy Lang
Welcome and Introductions, Amy Shanafelt & Julie Orhazda
Approve January Meeting Minutes
Approved with changes – need to still update online minutes with Principal instead of president
Officer/Standing Committee Reports
- Treasurer’s Report, Jennifer Mahlum & Nelly Goodnoe
- Nelly sent all teachers a note about how much $ they have left to spend from their annual teacher amount.
- Still need to receive school district invoice.
- Not much activity on accounts
- Amy will schedule mid-year financial review in the next few weeks.
- Legislative Report, Shelley Prosise & Jean Charette
- Reported they sent about 200 cards to our House Representatives – will plan on doing another round of email/ postcard campaign
Special Committee Reports
- Testifying in Olympia, Sam Fogg
While we were discussing Legislative updates, Sam gave her update on her testimony in Olympia. Went to Olympia to testify in favor of extending the “levy cliff.” HB 1059. Now stuck in committee and does not appear to be coming out in order for Senate to vote. Could mean that Seattle schools will loose a huge source of funding. Bryant stands to loose 2 teaching positions and half a librarians. Very possible our class sizes will increase to 30 students per class
- Bryant Leadership Team, Amy Shanafelt
- Reviewed budget discussions that would impact Bryant.
- Emphasized that PTSA’s role in tough budget times is to stay true to our mission: provide enrichment opportunities for our kids. We are not here to make up for district shortfalls.
- PTSA budget will start in March after the building has made its requests of PTSA.
- Opening new bank account for Online store (9:15- 9:20) Nelly Goodnoe
- Bryant PTSA needs a separate bank account to take online payments. This helps protect our main bank account from any online fraud. Nelly motioned, Anne Sonnen seconded. Motion approved.
- Temporary Online Store – approve best practices, Nelly Goodnoe
- Best practices were passed around and reviewed. No one had any objections. Best Practices were adopoted for a temporary online store
- Script card donation to Bryant Blast, Michelle Ireton
- Michelle Ireton explained that PTSA has been carrying $350 in scrip cards from TJ Maxx, Lands End, Michaels, and LL Bean for several years. Michelle motioned to donate unused scrip cards to the Bryant Auction first and any purchased cards to the Blast. Shelley Proise seconeded.. Motion approved.
Meeting adjourned 9:20